Durham County Alcoholic Beverage Control Board

Mixed Beverage Operations

Mixed Beverage Operations pertain to sales of spirituous liquor made to businesses that sell mixed beverages to their patrons, such as restaurants, bars and private clubs. There are approximately 200 establishments in Durham County, known as permittees. Permittees are required to pay an additional tax of $3.75 for every .75 liter bottle of spirituous liquor purchased.

Download our Durham County ABC Permittee Guide: Quick Glance to Laws, Rules and Information.

Establishing a Mixed Beverage Account

Mixed Beverage licenses/permits are issued by the North Carolina ABC Commission. Durham County ABC cannot issue any permits. Visit the Commissions permits page for more information on obtaining a mixed beverage permit.

Placing Orders


Online ordering is the preferred method and the most efficient process which allows for order accuracy and flexibility of time. To place an order or to create a new account,  CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE ORDERING.


Fax or Email

Permittees not using the online ordering system can place orders by fax or email Monday through Friday during hours of operation. To facilitate an efficient ordering process, we highly recommend the following:

  • Place order at least 24 hours before the desired pick up time to ensure product availability and eliminate a possible wait.
  • Place orders at the beginning of the week to avoid an end-of-week rush or possible delay.

Click here to download a printable order form (PDF) for faxing. (Adobe Reader required. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader).


To obtain an electronic form via email, call the office number listed below or click here to email your request.


Compliance Guidelines

In order to assist you in successful compliance with all ABC regulations, please review the following reminders:

  • Transportation of product from our Mixed Beverage facility to your establishment requires that your employee be 21 years of age or older.
  • Persons transporting product for your establishment are responsible for ensuring that each product item has a Durham County Tax Stamp with the correct information affixed to same prior to leaving our Mixed Beverage facility.
  • Permittees should check all inventories in wells and bar area to ensure that all product items have a legible tax stamp showing their permit number. If a replacement stamp is needed, immediately pull the product from service and email ABC Law Enforcement for authorization to transport the product item back to our Mixed Beverage facility for a new tax stamp.
  • Review of North Carolina General Statute 18B will assist you in your efforts to maintain compliance.
  • Terminology and definitions related to ABC regulations and compliance for your establishment may be found in North Carolina General Statute 18B section 1000.
  • North Carolina General Statute 18B Section 502 includes information regarding inspection of your establishment by Law Enforcement.

Contact Information

Tony Wheeley, Mixed Beverage Manager
Phone: 919-490-6760
Fax: 919-402-0159
Email: mxb09@durhamabc.com

Pickup Location and Hours of Operation 

3620 Chapel Hill Boulevard
Phone: (919) 490-6760
Mon-Fri: 9:00am – 4:30pm
Sat: 9:00am – 1:00pm
Sat hours –  Emergency orders only


Payment Options

Payment can be made as follows:

  1. Cash
  2. Certified Check
  3. Company Check – see Check Acceptance and Payment Guidelines
  4. EFT via Fintech


Check Acceptance and Payment Guidelines

  • Payment is required at the time of pick-up with cash, company check, cashier’s check, certified check or money order.
  • If a company check is used for payment and returned to Durham County ABC, check privileges for your business will be discontinued. You must bring cash to make up for the bad check. Failure to make payment by cash will result in suspension of your mixed beverage purchasing from Durham County ABC. If your company check is returned, payment for future purchases must be made by cash or certified check. Re-evaluation of check writing privileges will be made every 3 months to determine reinstatement.
  • New permittees must make payment in the form of cash, cashier’s check, certified check or money order for the first 30 days of ordering.